NAMI New Orleans COVID-19 Response – Updated May 18, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic and in an effort to flatten the curve, the following changes have been made to NAMI New Orleans’ programs and services:
The office buildings are closed to the public except for those with an appointment. The Drop-In Center is closed until further notice.
Direct services are being provided by telehealth whenever possible. This includes Community Psychiatric Support and Treatment (CPST), case management, counseling, and medication management. Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR) programs are suspended until further notice. The only programs currently accepting new intakes are CPST and bereavement counseling for adults who have lost a loved one to suicide. Call (504) 896-2345.
The NOLA Survivors of Suicide Loss support group, NAMI Family Support Group, and NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group are meeting via Zoom. Check our calendar for dates, times, and registration information. Be on the lookout for announcements regarding our classes (NAMI Family-to-Family and NAMI Peer-to-Peer). At this time we are not offering community presentations or Mental Health First Aid trainings.
Our Mental Healthcare Navigation Team (MHNT) is available Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. Contact the MHNT at (504) 896-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please refer to this resource guide produced by NAMI to learn more about maintaining your physical and mental health during this time, including supportive services that can be accessed via phone or internet. (La Guia COVID-19 de información y recursos está disponible en español.) You can also contact the Disaster Distress Helpline by calling 1 (800) 985-5990 or texting TalkWithUs to 66746.
Local/state resources if you or someone you know is experiencing distress related to COVID-19
- Keep Calm Through COVID Hotline: 1 (866) 310-7977
(LDH Office of Behavioral Health)
- COVID-related distress/crisis help via text: Text TALKWITHUS to 66746. For Spanish text HABLANOS to 66746
(New Orleans Health Department)
If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis
- Contact the local Mobile Crisis Units: Call (504) 826-2675 for Orleans/Plaquemines/St. Bernard Parishes and (504) 832-5123 for Jefferson Parish
- Contact the Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1 (800) 273-8255 or via chat
- Contact the Crisis Text Line by texting NAMI to 741741
- Call 911 and tell the operator it is a mental health emergency
- Go to your nearest emergency room
Check our website and emails for continued updates on the status of our programs and services.
Last updated May 18, 2020