Case manager needed to work full time with adults who are homeless and are diagnosed with a mental illness or co-occurring substance use disorder. Responsibilities include providing community based case management services to a caseload of 20 challenging adults and/or families who may be actively using illegal substances or alcohol, may have a history of incarceration, and/or unmanaged mental health conditions; placing clients in permanent housing within 14 days; providing skills training and community based services to clients both in the home and in the community; and compiling required documentation in a timely manner. Must have a Bachelor’s degree/Master’s Degree preferred in counseling, social work, psychology, or sociology; valid driver’s license; reliable transportation with insurance and a clean driving record. Benefits include paid sick time /vacation time/holiday, 401K after one year, health insurance covered at 75% and mileage reimbursement. Interested candidates must supply both a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk ins please.
- Must submit cover letter and resume
- Must have at least 2 years of experience working with homeless population and/or individuals with mental illness or substance use disorders
- Must have at least Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in one of the following: counseling, social work, psychology, or sociology.
- Must have reliable vehicle and clean driving record
- Salary $32,000 – $34,000
Part-Time Peer Support Specialists
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) New Orleans has several job openings available for part-time peer support specialists. Submit resume to Josh Maas at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Josh at 504-896-2240. Call Josh at 504 896-2345 to arrange to complete an application. To be considered, applicant must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Applicant must have previous or current mental health treatment, be in recovery from a substance use disorder, and/or formerly homeless. Must feel comfortable working with others who are trying to achieve mental health or substance use recovery and supporting and assisting them on their personal journey. Must be certified as a peer support specialist or agree to receive the 2-week training sponsored by NAMI New Orleans. Will also be required to become certified as a facilitator for various NAMI support and education programs. Please indicate which program you are applying for. You may apply for more than one.
- Drop-In Center Staff: NAMI New Orleans offers 2 drop-in center programs located in New Orleans and in Harvey on the Westbank. Drop-In Center staff are required to work 3 shifts per week (2 in New Orleans and one in Harvey). Total hours per week would be 4-18. Duties include: offering socialization and support to participants; preparing and serving coffee, light meals, and/or snacks; welcoming new participants and assisting them with completing a one page new member form; offering assistance in using the internet; facilitating support groups and education programs (once trained/certified); daily socialization with participants; facilitating discussions on recovery. If you can only work at one location, please indicate which one.
- Peer Support Specialist for Homeless Assistance Program: NAMI New Orleans offers housing placement services to referred individuals who are homeless. The homeless housing assistance program needs a peer support specialist on the team to work with homeless individuals to address recovery goals, attend recovery meetings and support groups, encourage participation and socialization at drop-in center, and to meet in the home or in the community regarding recovery and socialization activities. Applicant must have reliable transportation and/or be able to proficiently use public transportation. Must be able to document client meetings in an electronic heath record and maintain accurate progress notes (training provided). Total hours are 15-20 per week.
- Peer Support Specialist for Hospital Discharge and Transition Program: NAMI New Orleans seeks 2 part-time peer support specialists at 20 hours per week for a Hospital Discharge and Transition Program to begin on October. You will be working with a Behavioral Health Navigator who will be assisting individuals when they are discharged from inpatient hospitalizations for mental health and/or co-occurring substance use disorder treatment. The goal of the program is to assist individuals upon discharge to ensure they are connected to follow-up care at Metropolitan Human Services District (MHSD) and NAMI New Orleans’ peer support groups and drop-in center activities. Applicant must have reliable transportation and/or be able to proficiently use public transportation. Work locations include NAMI New Orleans and Metropolitan Human Services District (MHSD). Will work with the Behavioral Health Navigator, at Drop-In Center, and with MHSD staff under the direction and supervision of a NAMI New Orleans social worker. Will be trained in offering support groups and must become certified as a peer support specialist. Must be able to document client meetings in an electronic heath record and maintain accurate progress notes (training provided).
Clinical Manager – Licensed Mental Health Professional
Requirements: Masters degree in social work or counseling, or related field. Personal vehicle, auto insurance, clean driving record, valid Louisiana driver’s license, and experience working with homeless populations.
Reputable non-profit organization seeks a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Duties include conducting intakes with new housing referrals for the transitional shelter for women and trans individuals of all genders with chronic mental illness and/or co-occurring disorders, individual and group counseling, conducting behavioral health assessments, and community-based supportive services, as necessary. Case management experience with special needs populations required. Includes providing community-based services. Excellent organizational skills required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-ins, please. Benefits include two weeks sick time, two weeks vacation, 10 paid holidays, mileage reimbursement, 401K after one year.
NAMI New Orleans accepts 1-2 interns a semester in the areas of social services, public health, communications, et. al. Opportunities best suited for undergraduate students. Internship must be part of school requirements. Those interested are welcome to contact Shannon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At this time, the agency cannot provide internships for social work, counseling, or any other degree that requires specialized oversight or direct interaction with clients.
Learn about volunteer opportunities here.