Housing Case Manager
NAMI New Orleans seeks a Housing Case Manager. Duties include conducting intakes with new housing referrals for adults with chronic mental illness and/or co-occurring disorders and providing community-based services.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, or Counseling
- Previous experience working with homeless individuals (preferred)
- Case management experience working with special need populations
- Excellent organizational skills
- A valid Louisiana driver’s license and current auto insurance
- Must be able to pass criminal background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle record check
- Reliable transportation
- Must include resume AND cover letter
- Two weeks sick time per year
- Two weeks vacation per year
- Ten paid holidays per year
- Mileage reimbursement
- 401(K) after one year
Job Type: Full-time
NAMI New Orleans seeks part-time peer support specialist for a Hospital Discharge and Transition Program.
You will be working with a Behavioral Health Navigator who will be assisting individuals when they are discharged from inpatient hospitalizations for mental health and/or co-occurring substance use disorder treatment. The goal of the program is to assist individuals upon discharge to ensure they are connected to follow-up care at Metropolitan Human Services District (MHSD) and NAMI New Orleans’ peer support groups and drop-in center activities. Work locations include NAMI New Orleans and MHSD. You will work with the Behavioral Health Navigator, at Drop-In Center, and with MHSD staff under the direction and supervision of a NAMI New Orleans social worker.
- Reliable transportation and/or be able to proficiently use public transportation
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous or current first-person mental health treatment, be in recovery from a substance use disorder, and/or formerly homeless
- Must feel comfortable working with others who are trying to achieve mental health or substance use recovery and supporting and assisting them on their personal journey
- Must be certified as a peer support specialist or agree to receive the 2-week training sponsored by NAMI New Orleans. Will also be required to become certified as a facilitator for various NAMI support and education programs.
- Must be able to document client meetings in an electronic heath record and maintain accurate progress notes (training provided)
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a cover letter detailing how their first-person experience with mental illness, homelessness and/or substance use and their personal recovery might help them as a Peer Support Specialist.
Job Type: Part-time
Activities of Daily Living (ADL) Counselor
NAMI New Orleans is seeking a part-time ADL Counselor for evenings and overnight shifts. Duties include demonstrating ADLs with new housing referrals at Womanspace, skills training, and mental health monitoring of residents. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Womanspace is a transitional shelter for women and transgender individuals of all genders who are chronically homeless and live with chronic mental illness or co-occurring disorders. Interested candidates must supply both a cover letter and resume by email to Josh Maas at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk ins please.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Skills training experience with homeless populations and other special needs populations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation with insurance and a clean driving record
NAMI New Orleans accepts 1-2 interns a semester in the areas of social services, public health, communications, et. al. Opportunities best suited for undergraduate students. Internship must be part of school requirements. Those interested are welcome to contact Gladys at (504) 896-2345 or email@example.com.
At this time, the agency cannot provide internships for social work, counseling, or any other degree that requires specialized oversight or direct interaction with clients.
Learn about volunteer opportunities here.